About Joey Turman
Joey Turman is an oil and gas attorney with over 25 years of experience in the industry. Joey was Senior Counsel for Anadarko Petroleum Corporation from 2013-2019 supporting the development of the Mozambique LNG project. Prior to joining Anadarko, Joey worked for BP in multiple locations, including Houston and in Asia for 17 years. During his time in Asia, Joey had several in-house roles supporting BP businesses in multiple jurisdictions, including Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore, China, Australia, Malaysia and India.
Anadarko Senior Counsel supporting the Mozambique LNG Project, a $20b greenfield project. Specific responsibilities included Lead Counsel of Commercial, which involved Partner and Government issues. Key role in developing and finalizing commercial structure and strategy to enable FID in 2019, including:
- Lead Negotiator for agreements with adjacent block, Area 4 (Exxon/Eni): Unitization Agreement, Various Agreements to share LNG park, including marine facilities. Successfully secured Anadarko’s ability to build facilities.
- Government Agreements: Decree Law, Amendment to EPCC (PSC), Funding Agreement for NOC, Offshore Entities, Bank Accounts and Tax Rulings.
- Partner Agreements: Agreements necessary to obtain partner.
- M&A activity: Provided support to multiple transactions to reduce Anadarko’s 80% interest in block down to 23%.
BP Senior Counsel supporting Gulf of Mexico with specific responsibilities for Exploration, Paleogene developments, Integrity Management and External Issues, including M&A activity.
BP Interim Regional Legal Manager with legal management oversight for BP’s Asia Pacific E&P activities including management of M&A activity in the region and of legal teams in Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore and China.
Senior Counsel supporting BP’s Asia Pacific E&P and renewable energy businesses. Highlights include:
- Tangguh LNG Project, Indonesia – Drafted and negotiated sales agreements and supported BP’s business development activity in relation to a renegotiated LNG sales agreement, which created up to $1billion of net value for BP with no associated capital investment (Helios Finalist 2012).
- Divestiture of ONWJ Asset (Indonesia) – Assisted in the strategic divestiture of an offshore block with gas sales and oil production.
- VICO, Indonesia – Served as Managing Counsel two different times. Role included management of VICO’s existing LNG sales contracts and marketing issues.
- CBM VICO, Indonesia – Lead lawyer for BP’s first coal bed methane to LNG.
- Yacheng Gas Asset, China – Lead lawyer for the consortium in a major renegotiation of the gas sales agreement for additional gas sales worth US$1.2b.
- Browse LNG Project, Australia – Lead lawyer responsible for supporting BP’s joint venture negotiations and marketing strategy.
- Alternative Energy (AE) – Lead lawyer responsible for AE’s business development activities across the region in Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam.
Senior Counsel supporting BP Vietnam and Nam Con Son Project. Highlights include:
- Acquisition of Statoil’s interest in Blocks 1, 5.2 and 6.1, the NCS Pipeline and Phu My 3 Power Plant.
- Successfully resolving PSC and gas sales disputes with PetroVietnam and Vietnamese Government and resolving contract disputes with project contractors.
- Drafting and negotiating a long-term gas transportation agreement with the Korean National Oil Company and PetroVietnam.
- Legal support for project financing of power plant, including drafting and negotiating agreements necessary for the development of the project.
BP Corporate Counsel with responsibility for the Tangguh LNG Project, specifically:
- Acquisition of Genting’s interest in Tangguh Project.
- Development of base project documents with PERTAMINA and Tangguh Project participants, including Principles of Agreement for the overall project.
- Procurement and engineering contract support (including EPC form contract for the LNG plant) and license agreements for LNG process technology.
- Environmental permitting and land acquisition for the LNG plant site.
- Marketing and project financing support.
- Member of Elder Board at Bayou City Fellowship.
- Founding Member of Low to High (non-profit for teenage boys).
- Active participant in SEED Soccer program in Ecuador (non-profit in Ecuador to assist underprivileged children).
- J.D., cum laude, Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Law Review
- B.A. History, Samford University
- English (Native)
- Indonesian (Proficient)